Saturday, August 10, 2013

Our first week home with Makenzie Lynne



On Sunday, August 4th we were discharged from the hospital and made our way back home with Makenzie Lynne to be greeted by my in-laws all standing along the lane with this wonderful display!  Notice the soccer balls in the hoop for Makenzie to play with in a few months.  :D

Our first night home was well, as good as any first night home with a newborn can be.  She fed well but the going to sleep in the middle of the night part was a little tricky.  We learned a few things that first night; the pack 'n' play is far too big for her right now and she was not having any of it, and the By Your Side Sleeper is a lifesaver!  (Thank you Krishawn!!!) She is much more comfortable sleeping in that on our bed.  Granted now we feel the need to get a King size bed, but for a couple months I will sacrifice my bed space if that means my baby girl will sleep well at night.  

Makenzie seems to be a little bit confused by day time and night time, but I am not minding the extended cuddle sessions throughout the day.  Ross and I have also found our roles in parenthood.  I, the morning person take the early shift, and Ross takes the late shift.  In the late hours I will feed her and Ross will rock her to sleep so that I can get some rest before the next feeding.  So far, this routine and shared responsibility has proven pretty effective.  

What we've been up to:
  • Taking more photos than I ever thought I could in a 24 hour period and then posting them on various social media sources.  I apologize if your feed is full of our baby. :)
  • Taking every chance I get to snuggle with Makenzie and staring into her beautiful grey-blue eyes.
  • Trying to establish some sort of routine.  I'll keep you posted on how that works out. 
Baby things we couldn't live without:
  • By your side sleeper
  • Newborn Diapers! She is too small for the cloth ones and probably will be for a while.
  • Footed onesies (they are so comfy and socks always fall off her tiny feet)
  • Boppy!  
  • Friends and family who offer to bring us dinner!  
What Makenzie's been up to:
  • Sleeping, Sleeping, and more sleeping usually in 2-3 hour blocks of time especially at night when she finally falls asleep.
  • Pooping when someone opens her diaper.
  • Peeing on mama's lap at night time.
  • Going to the store to pick up more diapers and some warmer newborn clothes.
  • Attending her first wedding.  
  • Accomplished her ability to track with both her eyes in unison.  
  • Working on breastfeeding.  She almost has it down pat. (Mommy is also still trying to get the hang of it.




I can't believe one week has already gone by.  It seems like I was in the hospital just yesterday!  I sometimes just get teary eyed thinking that I finally have my baby in my arms and I just feel so blessed by God for this precious gift he has given my husband and I.  I was told that there is nothing better than seeing your husband hold your baby girl for the first time.  It's true, except I have to say I fall in love with Ross all over again every time he holds Makenzie or when I hear him tell her she's beautiful while changing her diaper.


Here a couple pictures from Page and Ema's wedding last night.


The youngest single lady at the wedding.  
Daddy didn't let her catch the bouquet though, not until she's 30!!!


Family Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment